Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Making an honest living (brought to you by Harvard's free money)

I have completed my second day at my internship, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I had a fairly miserable internship at the DA's office two years ago, enough to sap my motivation to take a job last summer (also because I'm, you know, a lazy freeloader). But this is great. The office small and friendly, and they're really enthusiastic about what they do. I'm enthusiastic about what they do. 99% of New Yorkers don't donate money to people who run for state office. That means politicians are beholden to donations from 1% of wealthy voters and special interest groups. Also, the use of campaign contributions for what are tantamount to personal expenses? Clearly unacceptable, yet often done. I could sink my teeth into this; campaign finance reform, but also working at a nonprofit in general.
Adjusting to office life is kinda a leap. I hate business clothes, I feel like I'm playing dress up, and I hate waking up before noon. But my biggest issue is that I don't really understand the idea of a professional relationship. It's so easy to relate to people at school (and by people, I mean you guys). But what's the social script at the office? Where's the appropriate place to direct one's eyes during a conference call? When we can't access a website, why do we assume there's a problem with our connection? How do we know that the whole Internet hasn't crashed, eh? That's thinking outside the box right there.
Oh yeah, I know basically nothing about New York State politics, which is really just embarrassing.
We heard these guys speak today who founded a program called Generation Engage. Yes the title's awkward, but the idea's not. Basically, their pitch was that a lack of access, not a lack of interest, is our generation's biggest problem. I believe that, although I'm not sure if that's because I just want to believe that. Anyway, the most important point is they gave me a free button. And not one of those crappy kinds, the ones that screw on in the back. Maybe stuff is not that lame.

Expect phone calls. Take that to mean what you will.

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM , Blogger C.K. said...

hey carbs, I hope you got my text yesterday. it was an interesting moment (Alex was brandishing steak knives while helping me unload the dishwasher).

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger C.K. said...

also, why don't you go back to eating blighted potatoes with leprechauns on the emerald isle. hobag.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home