Monday, June 12, 2006

As American as...

a German apple pancake (carb-tastic). I heart globalization. And the verbification of nouns, it impacts my life greatly.

My Dad and I baked a delicious one this morning in our test run for the Father's Day brunch we're throwing at my house next Sunday. This event is representative of my family for several reasons:
1. My father is doing all the cooking, despite the fact that it's Father's Day.
2. Besides him, none of the people in attendance will be fathers.
3. Up until this point, I wasn't 100% sure the stove in the kitchen still worked.
4. Cool Whip figures prominently into the menu. (This is really the most central point...no, seriously, we love that shit).
There's something very lovely about functional dysfunction that I can quite express.

In other news, I continue my love affair with Manhattan. Mono no aware. In high school, my friends and I took a term of Asian lit and spent the rest of our time using that phrase. Once you learn a name for something it's too easy to see it everywhere. Things are so full with what they are, "summer is all in bloom / summer is ending soon."

I am terribly emo this summer. I'm never going to look up from my shoes again.

2 Comments:

At 3:00 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Please stay emo. Then, when I come to NY, we can be emo together. Incidentally, I'm counting down the days (a lot) till we graduate from Harvard and move into the downstairs apartment and live together happily ever after. Or live emo-ly ever after. I could do either.

 
At 5:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to be Emo, you can't look into the camera like that. Take the picture yourself, but look away.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home