Friday, January 19, 2007

I don't need no man, kinda

We won the vote, that was one. Then we entered the work force, that was two. And now, I bring you the long-awaited third wave of feminism via my ringtone "Promiscuous Girl."While all the lyrics of this song warrant consideration and reflection, I feel this one is particularly apt:
You expect me to just let you hit it?
But will you still respect me if you get it?

I hear you sister.

What's interesting is that "Promiscuous Girl" has a matched pair in "Promiscuous Boy":
Promiscuous Girl,
Wherever you are.
I’m all alone
And its you that I want.

Promiscuous Boy,
I'm calling your name.
But you're driving me crazy
The way you're making me wait.


"Promiscuous Boy" has no cultural history as a phrase, and in fact,doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense without it. Even if it did, would that be a good thing? Is modern feminism about the hyper-sexualization of both sexes? Yes, it's just a rap song, but that sense of vicious sexual empowerment is at the heart of Sex & the City and the glamourization of most female celebrities. I am slut, watch me sell (Paris, Britney, even Madonna at this point). We won the right to be sexual, and ended up sluty. That being said...it's still my ringtone.

1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM , Blogger C.K. said...

From a linguistics standpoint, I'm impressed that four-syllable words like "promiscuous" are actually appearing in songs like this. Yay big words!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home