Saturday, August 26, 2006

Peekaboo, I see you


This is from a New Yorker calendar that, needless to say, I'm getting.

In other consumer related news, today at Barnes & Nobles I saw this really cool notebook book. And yes, notebook book. Basically, these four girls turned their communal high school journal into a book. Raccoon Noises's future? Actually it's a little more graphic than I feel I'd be comfortable with - both because they drew doodles in the notebook and because they talk about real stuff (which doesn't include what they saw at Barnes & Nobles). I went to preschool and played soccer for years with one of these girls, and feel awkward knowing some of that stuff. What is it that's so attractive about the magnified look into people's lives? Facebook, blogs, reality TV, tell all novels. Voyeurism: it's so hot right now.

This paragraph should be an insightful analysis of why that is and what should be done. Maybe something about how the declining quality of interpersonal relationships leads us to reach out to anyone willing to put themselves out there. But I'm not even a sophomore and "ground breaking ideas and how to phrase them" wasn't covered in Expos. I really need that to be touched on this semester. Increasingly, I feel like someone trying to guess the identity of an object that's wrapped in a thick sheet. The object is truth and the sheet is some sort of mental fog that I don't know how to lift.

Trust me, it's pretty lame. Like FDR's legs. Or it's like "pointless, incessant barking." Oh New Yorker! You slay me with your cultural insights!

1 Comments:

At 3:01 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I pretty much love you for the "like FDR's legs."

I mean, I guess I was fond of you before. But now I really care.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home