Hanging by a thread (or a giant mental chain)
I watched "Memoirs of a Geisha" last night. I've read the book too, a couple of years ago I guess. Eh. Not great literature, and vaguely icky, no? I felt like every other paragraph contained "...and then she took off her obi." Anyway, there's a scene where (apparently like all geishas), the main character has to sell her virginity to the highest bidder. Virginity, apparently, commands a high price. The extraordinary value placed on virginity across space and time is something I've never really understood. It's unlike other firsts, such as landing a man on the moon. We weren't sure we could do that before Neil Armstrong...I'm fairly certain everyone knows a girl can have sex before she loses her virginity. Even the idiom is odd: "losing." Losing what? It's not like you are spoiled afterwards, in some way less than you were before.
But...
I don't think that's true for sex. But I wonder if it might be true for love; that after the someone or something you love first, nothing else will ever quite measure up. I've thought about that a lot with New York. I almost hated the city when I was little. Irate business men swearing and the homeless sleeping on stoops: Norman Rockwell did not portray these for a reason. But by middle school my friends and I got in the habit of spending hours and hours wandering up and down a 2 mile stretch of Broadway, and I was in love.
And ruined. Objectively, the architecture is better in Paris, as is the landscape in San Francisco. But I sit at the crossroads of knowing something and feeling it's true. Maybe like most (all?) loves, this one's irrational. How could anything feel better than this? The ability to fall into the narrative of one of eight million lives (what peril!). And the beauty...there's too much to go around. If I wrote poems about New York, I'd want them to sound the way Woody Allen's movies feel. Maybe with some "Sex & the City" mixed in to make them, you know, hotter.
I worry (maybe wrongly) that if you visit the city, you don't have the sense of relaxation I think people who live here feel. Movies make it look like a playground, and it can be. But what I like most about it is the repose I feel here. Home. Much as our parents tend to ruin us for our futures, New York has ruined me for my future homes, little h.


4 Comments:
Wait, a girl can have sex before she loses her virginity? Are you referring to virginity in its biological sense or psychological sense? The understanding of what exactly is virginity probably contributes to people's confusion as to its value. The extraordinary value placed on virgin prostitutes by men is of a pretty simple-minded sexual nature, as is in my opinion, any other value on virginity. It is a feminist sort of thought that being defined by what you may or may not have done yet in your life is objectifying, but it's not like we don't hold young men to similar standards, although in less generalized and more various ways.
Virginity is like ... a tamper-evident seal. I think it's more important when it comes to drugs than when it comes to people. Although I guess the disease factor is also important. Dunno, I'm tired and rambling.
[b]ringtones[/b]
[url=http://pirix.net/in.cgi?17¶meter=ringtones][img]http://officiallogistics.com/ts/img/movie.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://pirix.net/in.cgi?17¶meter=ringtones]ringtones[/url]
grits and eggs ringtone website
sprint prepaid cell phone plans
do you need to kill embryo to get stem cell
free mobile mind games
mobile homes for sale in louisiana
mandingo mobile porn
dial last number that called cell
poly bags
free gps cell phone tracking
free music converter ring tones
free music ringtones for cell phones
seeyou mobile 3 1 keygen crack
aarp senior cell phone
silence i kill you phone tone
dare ring porn clips
windows mobile cab
free billy joel ringtones
luxor 2 mobile java donwload
final fantasy xii moon ring
sickle cell disease more condition_symptoms
cell free number people search
download games for mobile
free mobile ringtones
sbp mobile shell download serial number
lg cu500 mobile phone usb software
trojan vibrating ring
a78 mobile driver
free mobile hentai samples
hentai nami 3gp mobile
free send sms mobile
ctu ringtone midi
santana every tone tells a story 2006
rate the best cell phone
activesyc for mobile phones
balada para adelline free ring tone
keygen supermemo mobile
naive b cell
how do i recieve a free metropcs cell phone
recycle mobile
ring castings
stone cold steve austin ringtone
cell formula macro excel
ringtone nasyid
should cell phone use in cars be banned?
the sims 2 mobile download gratis
diagram with labeling of plant and animal cell
which is the most popular cell phone
bob's mobile homes belpre ohio
finding cell phone
horseshoe nail wedding ring
cell line expressing fox p3 rna
100% free ringtones
make ring tones
cut sapphire ring
schematic diagram of diaphragm cell
route 66 mobile 8
windows media player mobile per n95 nokia
codes for cell phones
free mobile 3g sex
lesbian mobile clips
free mobile ringtones download for 2009
mobile english dictionary
bluetooth cell phone accessories
free mobile flash 7 porn videos
mobile scanner antenna
table comparing and contrasting an animal cell and a plant cell
real tone juke box
garmin mobile
double cell blinds
free download mobile games
mobile rv repair greensboro nc
mobile phones and the elderly
video ringtones
www my t mobile com
mobile animated text messages
financing for mobile homes
beastality mobile
cell membrane function
red ring on xbox 360
reverse directory for cell phones
lauritz anderson ring
t mobile g2
sidekick 3 ringtones
mobile broadband uk
Hello,
I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here raccoon-noises.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Recent Research indicates that about 60% of all U.S. adults are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.
About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home